New Zealand : FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions for Studying in New Zealand


INZ: Immigration New Zealand. The government body responsible for issuing visa policies and making decisions on visa regulations.

NZQA: New Zealand Qualification Authority. The government body responsible for ensuring quality assurance of qualifications.

Offer of placement/confirmation of enrollement: This is the offer you receive from your institution with a declaration from them stating you meet the required standards.





As an international student you will have many questions as you prepare for admissions through to applying for your visa and travelling to a new country to live.

Below we have listed some frequently asked questions. Answers to many of the questions can change depending on your academic, financial and personal situation. We would strongly advise you to arrange a visa counselling session with our trained counsellors for full guidance

This information will and can change on a frequent basis and although we will do our upmost to keep our webpages fully up to date, you may wish to also visit the immigration website directly.


Can I work part time while studying in NZ?

You may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours each week and full-time all scheduled vacations and/or during during the Christmas and New Year holiday period


Who can sponsor me to study in New Zealand?

International students may cover the full cost of the fees themselves, or they may have a scholarship from the education provider or another organisation.

  • a foreign government loan, or
  • a New Zealand Aid Programme scholarship, or
  • a foreign government scholarship, or
  • other funds

Students apply for financial suppport on a mostly competitive basis and scholarships are not guaranteed.


Would I be eligible for Post Study Work visa in NZ after my studies?

There are post-study pathways available for many international students who already have a New Zealand qualification. This allows you to gain work experience in a field directly related to the studies you have completed.

Depending on your area of study, you may be eligible to stay and work in New Zealand for two years, with a possibly of even gaining residency at the end.

The steps are as follows:

  1. Post-study work visa (open). You can work in an unrelated role for 12 months whilst you find employment in a field related to your studies
  2. Post-study work visa (employer assisted). A further two years to work to work in your field of study, related to a specific job with a specific employer
  3. Post-study work visa (open). Skilled Migration category where you have a job offer in an area of skills shortage.

Whatever visa you apply for, you’ll need to meet our health and character requirements and other conditions. Speak to your PFL Counsellor today.


How much do I need to show in my bank account in order to be granted student visa?

Students who are not classed as domestic students will have to pay the full international fees.

You will therefore need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to study by showing the following:

  • the amount of the tuition fee for the complete programme of study
  • or if the programme of study is longer than one year, the annual tuition fee.

As evidence of financial support you could show that you have:

  • an agreement with a sponsor (a person, an organisation, or a government agency)
  •  a guarantee of financial undertaking
  • a foreign government loan
  • a New Zealand Aid Programme scholarship
  • full foreign-government support and funding
  • enough money to support yourself while in New Zealand.


How long does it take to be issued a student visa?

Time varies depending on the time of year and the country you are from, but can average around from 6 – 8 weeks

When can I commence my studies in New Zealand?

Typically in February or March, but may vary from institution to institution.


Would I be required to write an English language proficiency test?

During the visa stage, you will not be required to show evidence of your English language proficiency, however most institutions will ask you to provide proof depending on your current situation and background.


Can I get scholarships to take care of my tuition fees and living cost?

There are many opportunities to secure scholarships to study in New Zealand. Some scholarships are targeted specifically at international students whilst others are also open to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, or restricted to some nationalities. Scholarships are never guaranteed and the amount awarded can vary depending on merit and the nature of the scholarship has a search function for you to seek out scholarship opportunities. Your local PFL counsellor will also be able to advise you and support you throughout your application.

Can I travel with my family to New Zealand?

You cannot include anyone else on your application form. If your partner, your children, your parent/legal guardian, or anyone else will accompany you to New Zealand, they must apply separately for the type of visa they require.


Would I be interviewed by the embassy when I am applying for my visa?

Interview is conducting by the visa officer to determine the credibility of your application. In most cases, telephone interview is conducted.


Will I be required to pay my complete tuition fees before my visa is issued?

You will be required to pay one year's tuition fee in advance if you are privately funded.


© 2017 PFL. All Rights reserved. Site by: