Australia : FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions for studies in Australia


DIBP: Department of Immigration and Border Protection. DIBP present the visa regulations and make decisons on the policies

SVP: Streamlined Visa Processing

COE: Confirmation of Enrollement - this is essentially the visa letter issued to you by your chosen institutions. You will need to meet certain conditions before you receivce your COE

OSHC: Overseas Students Health Cover



Can I work part time while studying in Australia?

Many students choose to undertake part time work whilst they study in Australia. Not only can working part time complement your study experience, it can also assist with your living expenses.

Whilst your course is in session, most visas will allow you to work for up to 40 hours every two weeks. During your scheduled breaks, it may be possible for you to work unrestricted hours. You will need  to make sure your visa allows you to work before you commit to paid work. Your PFL counsellor will be able to give you up to date advice on this

There are many part-time work opportunities available in Australia. Although finding work related to your area of study may be possible, many students undertake casual roles in the following industries:

  • Retail - supermarkets, department and clothing stores
  • Hospitality - cafes, bars and restaurants
  • Tourism - hotels and motels
  • Agricultural - farming and fruit-picking
  • Sales and telemarketing
  • Administration or Clerical roles
  • Tutoring

The Australian Government provide basic rights to protect entitlements of their employers, including students such as a minimum wage and specified breaks.


Who can sponsor me to study in Australia?

You can sponsor yourself or your parents or spouse can also sponsor you. You can also be sponsored by family members who are not your immediate family members e.g. uncles, aunties, grandparents etc can sponsor you by providing you with their bank statements and a sponsorship letter giving their consent to you to submit their bank statements with your visa application.


Would I be eligible for Post Study Work visa in Australia after my studies?

Some students opt to use their new skills and knowledge to undertake post study work opportunities in Australia. Before you decide to do so, you will need to check whether your visa will allow this and whether there are any conditions you must meet. You may also need to apply for a new visa. Discuss your options with your expert PFL counsellor. You may also choose to further your study in Australia after you graduate. Again, make sure you are fully familiar with any restricions.


How much do I need to show in my bank account in order to be granted student visa?

You must have enough funds to pay for your own:

  • Travel
  • Study
  • Living expenses

If you are bringing your partner and your dependent children, you will need to demonstrate that you have enough funding for the duration of their stay in Australia too. Even if they don’t travel with you, you must also have enough funds to support your partner and dependent children.

Your PFL counsellor will be able to advise you on the cost, based on the latest information from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

To prove that you have enough money, you might be asked to provide information about:

  • your financial records
  • your employment history
  • where the money will be coming from
  • access to the money and ability to pay back (e.g .bank loans)


How long does it take to be issued a student visa?

Processing time for visas for studying in Australia can vary depending on a number of factors. These include where the visa was lodged, the type of visa you are applying for and your assessment level, which is determined by your course of study and nationality.


When can I commence my studies in Australia?

Typically in February or March, but may vary from institution to institution.

Would I be required to provide proof of my English language level?

You will need to prove that you have the required level of English in order to secure your study visa. These include the four test components: 

  • speaking
  • reading
  • listening
  • writing

You would need to show one of the following:

  • a score of at least 6 in each component at International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test
  • a score of 'B' for each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test (OET) within last three years
  • a valid passport from the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country


Can I get scholarships to take care of my tuition fees and living cost?

There are a number of scholarships available to support you financially throughout your studies. The value will vary depending on who is awarding the scholarship, and are often partial or occasionally full scholarships. The following bodies and organisatiions offer scholarships:

  • Australian Government
  • Education institutions
  • Public and private organisations

Scholarships are limited and are not guaranteed. Eligibility for applying for scholarships will vary, as well as the criteria for awarding them. PFL does not offer financial support for student, but will be more than happy to provide advice on scholarship boards you may wish to contact directly. Contact your local PFL counsellor today.


Can I travel with my family to Australia?

Most student visas allow you to bring your family members to Australia as your dependants. This does depend on your eligibility, current situation and assessment level. Your assessment level is determined by your course and your nationality.


Would I be interviewed by the embassy when I am applying for my visa?

Usually applicants are not interviewed for Australian visas however if the case officer thought that they need to speak with you to get some clarifications, you may be called on the telephone to provide the clarification they require.


Will I be required to pay my complete tuition fees before my visa is issued?

No you will not be required to pay your complete tuition fees before your visa is issued. Once you have paid the initial deposit required by your education provider and you have been issued a CoE then your visa will be issued provided you also met all the other requirements to be issued a visa.


© 2017 PFL. All Rights reserved. Site by: