Canada : FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions about studying in Canada


CIC: Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The Government body responsible for the visa policies and issuing visas.

PGWPP: Post Graduation Work Permit Program

Letter of Acceptance: This is the letter issued to you by your recongnised institution once you have met the contitions of your offer. You will need to present it when you apply for your visa, along with other documents.



As an international student you will have many questions as you apply for admissions and prepare for your visa.

Below we have listed some questions regulary asked by students who want to study in Canada. Answers to many of the questions can change depending on both your academic, financial and personal situation. We would strongly advise you to arrange a visa counselling session with our trained counsellors to ensure your visa application is successful.

This information will and can change on a frequent basis. Although we will do our upmost to keep our webpages fully up to date, you may wish to also visit the immigration website directly.

FAQ Canada

Can I work part time while studying in Canada?

There are plenty of part time work opportunities you could explore during your full time studies at a Canadian institution. Depending on your eligibility, part time options can include

  • on-campus roles
  • off-campus roles (an additonal work permit may be required)
  • part of an internship or co-op program.

There are also options for the spouses of international to work in Canada if desired.

Who can sponsor me to study in Canada?

You can sponsor yourself or be sponsored by parents, spouse and family members provided you can prove the relationship with the family member. Your employer can also sponsor you.


Would I be eligible for Post Graduation Work Permit in Canada after my studies?

The Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) give students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution the opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience.  The length of your work permit will depend on the length of your study period, to a maximum of three years. This may even lead to securing permanent residence provided that you are a skilled worker employed in certain sectors.


How much do I need to show in my bank account in order to be granted my study permit?

You must prove that you can support yourself and your accompanying dependants while you are in Canada. Evidence can include the following:

  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada
  • proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • your bank statements for the past four months
  • a bank draft in convertible currency
  • proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • a letter from the person or institution providing you with money; and
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.


How long does it take to be issued a study permit?

Processing times vary. It depends on the type of application you submit, and where it is processed. CIC lists processing times for applications submitted inside and outside Canada. CIC updates this section regularly, so visit often to get the latest details.

When can I commence my studies in Canada?

International students are expected to start planning for their studies in Canada 1 year in advance. The major intake for Canada primarily is 'Fall' i.e September. The other intake is in the month of 'Winter' i.e. January, but it depends on the students program and the institution that he/she is applying to. Very few institutes might have the May intake as well.


Would I be required to show my level of English?

If you are applying for an undergraduate programme it is likely you will need to take a recognised English Language test. For postgraduate studies, it is unlikely that you will be required to write English language proficiency test provided your first degree was taught in English language. The required level will vary from institution to instiution and you would need to make sure you know what the requirements are when you apply.


Can I get scholarships to take care of my tuition fees and living cost?
Scholarships and awards for international students are available at some Canadian institutions. These will be limited and awarded on a competitive level, for students with exceptional results. The amount and type of award will vary.

Other bodies and organisations often offer scholarships too. Again, they will look for strong grades and all round achievement. Here are some examples:

•Scholarships for International Students for Study in Canada

•Scholarships for International Students for Research in Canada

•Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships

Can I travel with my family to Canada?

There is an option for you to bring your dependants and family members with you to Canada when you study. You would need to show that you will be able to support them financially during their period in Canada and apply for a separate visa for each dependant.

Would I be interviewed by the embassy when I am applying for my visa?

You will not normally be interviewed by the embassy when applying for your study permit. However, if the visa officer found a reason for you to be interviewed you may be called up to come to their office for interview but this is not a common occurrence.


Will I be required to pay my complete tuition fees before my visa is issued?
Some institution may require that you pay part of your tuition fees before the final acceptance letter is released to you, however this varies from one instutuion to another. Note that the visa officer in charge of your visa application may deem it necessary for you to make the full payment and it will be assessed on a case by case basis. 

© 2017 PFL. All Rights reserved. Site by: